Man I just love survival skills! I always have been.. I watch one of the show on Astro once about surviving skills. Too bad I forgot the name of the show.
But I do remember some of the fact from the show:
1) Blood is a good source of food.
2) You can fish by using your finger as bait. Be careful, it hurts!
3) I think eye is a good source of food too. (Need to check this one)
4) If you ever need to use boat or raft or swim, do this first.
If you have sheep skin or any skin, turn it inside out so it doesn't get wet when it gets into the water. The skin is elastic and it resists water.
Put all your stuff in it INCLUDING the clothes you're wearing if you don't have any dry clothes. It's important to do this because you'll need dry clothes to warm you up once you're back to the shore or.. you might get hypothermia or something, I don't remember. Another reason is that the clothes will be heavy when they're wet, they might slow you down. They don't provide any security when you're in the water anyway so PUT it in the sheep skin.
Make sure you tie all the holes on the sheep skin tightly EXCEPT ONE!
Blow air into it like balloon. It won't be like a real balloon of course but it would an airbag that could float in the water. Once done, tie that one up tightly too.
Remember to use any sort of ropes to tie the sheep skin bag to your body too. So you can grab on it and you won't lose it in the water. This is very important especially if you can't swim.
Whew! This one is really long!
5) I think there's more but I don't remember. It has something to do with eating raw meat when you are trapped in the wild and have no way to cook the food. The blood and the eyes are the best part of it (Eww!) because it contains.. uh something but you can live for a long time if you have these with you as your food source. The... um.. organs are good too I think (need to check), the meat.. don't remember.
6) There's also eating snake, how to get it and which part to eat... I don't remember the facts at all...
Oh, well. That's all I think. Meh, I am completely off-topic from what I originally thinking of posting. No worry, I continue to another post :)
Oh, end note of this post is knowing these stuff is totally different from doing it. >_< I wish I or anyone else who doesn't like to do this kind of stuff will never have to try this!