I mean the process shown in this guide on "How to Purify Water" looks way harder than distilling the water. The writer also says that it removes bacteria contamination only while distilling water remove bacteria, chemical and radioactive (or did I misunderstood what the writer meant) contaminations. The taste sounds bad too.. Can you imagine drinking a water tasted like bleach? Ughh... At least distilled water tasted like nothing.
You'll need a lot of stuff to start purifying the water. So I imagine this method is used when you're not stranded alone in a deserted island with nothing in hand. Well, not exactly a useful thing to know or suitable for my "survival skill in the wilderness" tag but I think it's pretty handy when you're at home without any available drinking water. Maybe the fresh water supply is cut out or something like that. You know how it likes nowadays, A lot of disaster everywhere. I still can't imagine how am I going to drink this.
I just thought this would be easier because it uses common stuff or stuff that can be bought easily and I still don't know how to distill water at home without using the usual equipment.
I wonder though, aren't purified water and distilled water the same thing? I searched on Google, and sure enough, I got these definition for those two from thefreedictionary.com.
Purified Water: water purified by distillation
Distilled Water: water obtained by either distillation or deionization; used when mineral-free water is required.
Both have no mineral therefore it's just liquid without any other value except to avoid dehydration. Well, not good but definitely beats drinking water with more bad contaminants than good mineral. :)
Anyway I still need to find out more about this stuff.