Wow, this draft is started when? Anyway, I found a similar website to freedom2talk. It's called Youth Noise.
freedom2talk is open to Malaysian residents only while Youth Noise is open to everyone even though its mission is to get Americans involved in critical issues. Even though as a Malaysian I should say something like I prefer freedom2talk over Youth Noise, I really really can't say that.
freedom2talk is very restricted. Non members can only view the part of the cause description and the candidates' names. If you want to view candidates videos, websites, actual age, occupation and full description of their cause, you would have to sign up as a member.
To me, this is too restricted. When I visit this website, I want to learn more about the cause. What is the cause? What is the purpose of the cause? Where can I learn more about this cause? What can I do to help?
Let say the cause is to build more libraries in orphanages, so tell me where can I donate books or money for them, do you need volunteers to manage the libraries, where is the library and so on.
Some people like me are not comfortable to share sensitive information (IC and phone numbers) or sign up for anything for security reasons, but we still need to learn about such causes.
I understand the reason why freedom2talk need IC and phone numbers for member sign up. Firstly, because they need to make sure that their members are Malaysian residents and secondly they need a way to contact the candidates immediately. Emails are not a guaranteed way to be received or read on time after all.
Even so, why hide the videos, websites URL, and full description of their cause? They are NOT sensitive information at all and are meant to be spread anyway.
Information on Youth Noise on the other hand is open to all. While you can't put your input, you can learn bunch of stuff in there and follow whatever is going on even if you're a non member. They've also provided a lot of tools and help resources. So when you feel like you're pumped enough and join in, you will know what to do and how to do it.
One thing annoyed me though, this website also ask for phone numbers to sign up and the fact that I can't stop reading lol =D
Related Post:
Freedom to Talk: Choose Your Cause!